RESOURCES ON AGING & TELOMERES
RESOURCES ON SLEEP
RESOURCES ON OBESITY
Click here for THE SKINNY ON OBESITY: AME Researchers are highlighted in this this 7-part UCTV series on the obesity epidemic and the dire threat it poses to global public health.
THE COMPLETE SKINNY ON OBESITY
Childhood Stress Pregnancy Weight and Transmission of Weight
Diet and Lifestyle Tips from UCSF Experts
A Fast paced, fast food life
RESOURCES ON STRESS, ANXIETY & MINDFULNESS
ShareCare Lecture Series:
Follow AME Director Dr. Elissa Epel on SHARECARE where she gives short answers about the fundamentals of stress. Browse over 15 videos on topics like:
- How Does Stress Affect Our Self-Control When It Comes to Eating? (1:20)
- How Can Mindfulness Make Us Eat Healthier? (2:43)
- How Does Stress Affect Us at the Molecular Level? (1:57)
- Can You Repair a Telomere? (1:20)
FOR SCIENTIFIC INFORMATION, FUN AND EASY READS:
Mason, A.E., & Epel, E.S. Stress and obesity (2017). Eating disorders and obesity: A comprehensive handbook, 3rd Edition. (pp. 421-426). New York, NY: Guilford Press.
Sapolsky, R. (2004). Why zebra's don't get ulcers: An updated guide to stress, stress-related diseases, and coping. New York: Henry Holt & Co. 3rd Edition. (an entertaining bottom line on stress from a world expert).
Singer, T. (2010). Stress less: The new science that shows women how to rejuvenate the body and the mind. New York: Hudson Street Press. (DISCLOSURE: Elissa wrote the foreword to this book).
- Aditi Nerurkar (2015). What a Happy Cell Looks Like. The Atlantic
STRESS MANAGEMENT/WELLNESS HOW TO'S:
- Kabat-Zinn, J. (1990). Full catastrophe living: Using the wisdom of your body and mind to face stress, pain, and illness. New York: Dell/Bantam Publishing Company.
- Kabat-Zinn, J. (2011). Mindfulness for beginners: Reclaiming the present moment and your life. Boulder, CO: Sounds True, Inc.
- Craske, M.G. & Barlow, D.H. (2006). Mastery of your anxiety and worry: Workbook (treatments that work). New York: Oxford University Press. 2nd Edition. (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is one of the most effective treatments for anxiety. For most people with significant anxiety, working with a cognitive behavioral therapist is also necessary.)
RESOURCES ON PARENTING STRESS
- The whole-brain child: 12 revolutionary strategies to nurture your child's developing mind, survive everyday parenting struggles, and help your family thrive.
- The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate by Susan Kaiser Greenland
RESOURCES ON MEDITATION
Meditation Research and Practice Centers:
- Upaya Zen Center: Upaya Zen Center in Santa Fe, New Mexico offers daily Zen meditation, weekly dharma talks, and programs on Buddhist teachings, art, neuroscience, and social engagement
- Spirit Rock Meditation Center: The practice of mindful awareness, called Insight Meditation, is at the heart of all the activities at Spirit Rock. They provide silent meditation retreats, as well as classes, trainings, and Dharma study opportunities for new and experienced students from diverse backgrounds with a willingness to develop their own practice
- Mind and Life Institute: The Mind & Life Institute is a non-profit organization committed to building a scientific understanding of the mind as a way to help reduce suffering and promote human flourishing